Auntie Bonnie’s Potato Cucumber Salad
From the cookbook, How it all Vegan, 1999.
This tangy, tart salad will tickle your tastebuds.
2-3 cups new potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp fresh dill, chives or parsley, chopped
¼ cup green onions
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
¼ cup flax oil (or your choice of salad type oil)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2-3 cups cucumber, cubed
In a medium pot, boil the cubed potatoes in water until they can be pierced easily with a fork. In a small bowl, whisk together the chosen herb, mustard, vinegar, horseradish, oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Once the potatoes are done, drain and rinse under cold water until cool. In a medium bowl, mix together the potatoes, cucumbers and dressing just before serving.
I like to give the potatoes a quick rinse, then pour the dressing over the partially-cooled potatoes and refrigerate for a few hours. Then mix the cucumbers in before serving. This lets the flavor soak into the potatoes more.
· Variation: Add some healthy protein- Chop boiled eggs into large chunks and sprinkle over the salad after combining the cucumbers into the potatoes.
Cold Cucumber Soup
· 3 medium seedless cucumbers, peeled and chopped
· 3/4 cup(s) thinly sliced green onions
· 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
· 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt
· 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
· 1 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth (I use water)
· 1/2 cup(s) sour cream (I use plain yogurt)
- Place cucumbers, green onions, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, pepper, and vegetable broth in a blender or food processor and puree.
- Stir in sour cream and chill until very cold, about 1 hour.
- Serve topped with additional chopped cucumber, green onion, and lemon zest.
Here is a link to 15 garden fresh squash and zucchini recipes. http://www.thekitchn.com/summer-squash-15-recipes-for-z-120015 Try the Zucchini Garlic Soup. It is good cold. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-zucchini-1-32520
Teeny Zucchini with Onions
From Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 2001
Note: squash can be substituted for zucchini
Health Note: We like to get include some other form of protein in our meals, when not eating meat with a meal. We tend to eat meat just 3 times a week. The walnuts in this meal are a great protein source.
1 lbs baby zucchini or 3 medium zucchini
1 tblsp. Olive oil
1 Small Onion, cut into thin wedges
¼ cup chopped walnuts
½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Rinse and trim zucchini. If using medium sized zucchini, cut each in half lengthwise, then turn into ½-inch slices
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion. Cook for 6-8 minutes until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add walnuts, oregano, salt, and pepper to mixture in skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Makes 4-6 servings.