11am -2pm Shop during lunch hours at Youssef 242 in Hickory this Wednesday November 28th.
This is our last Youssef 242 market, so stop by for some winter greens and lettuce.
This is some of the last vegetables our garden has to offer for the winter- we've harvested almost all of them over the last 2 months.
We will have some eggs for sale!
Farm Fact The hens laid enough to bring fresh eggs to market, even though it is winter! Remember hens don't lay very often in the winter because of the lack of sunshine and cold temperatures. And remember our freshly laid eggs last for weeks, so buy a couple of dozen if you are lucky enough to come to market while the eggs are still around. (no advance orders of eggs, please)
· December Orders…
Order our amazing pastured pork on our Online Farm Store, and pick it up in Conover or Hickory on Saturday December 15th. We'll send out an reminder email to our newsletter subscribers in 2 weeks.
Order our amazing pastured pork on our Online Farm Store in January, February, and March this winter. We’ll meet in Conover or Hickory once a month on a Saturday.
January 26th- Saturday
February- DATE T.B.A.
March- DATE T.B.A.
Youssef 242 market Wednesday 11-28-12, 11 am-2pm
Take home some great pastured pork tomorrow- we have a great selection. We’ll have a great selection all winter and spring, so you can order pork all winter.
The last of the garden harvest- Remember our vegetables are grown using 100% organic methods-no chemical fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides.
This week’s vegetables are our hardy greens like kale and Swiss chard and lettuce from our covered frost blanket garden beds.
No more collards-The collards are hardy winter greens, but we harvested the last of them already.
Kale- heirloom lacinato (dinosaur kale)
Kale- curly kale
Swiss Chard- We’ll have loose leaf chard this week.
Head Lettuce- beautiful green and red head lettuce, tasty and tender
Sausage and Kale Soup
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 onion, diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
· 5 waxy potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
· Approx 6 cups chicken broth
· 1 bunch kale (12 ounces), stemmed and shredded
· 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
1. In a large pot (6 to 8 quarts), heat oil over medium. Add onion and sausage- cook sausage halfway through, about 8 minutes (sausage will still be pink). Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove sausage and onion mixture and set aside on plate.
2. Add potatoes and broth to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. In a blender, puree half the soup. Return to pot; add kale and sausage. Simmer until kale is wilted and sausage is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.